The Weather Channel reports, “Category 5 Tropical Cyclone Winston made landfall in Fiji on Saturday, killing at least 10 people and destroying hundreds of homes.”
* Pray for the Holy Spirit to comfort the families and friends of the deceased.
* Pray for healing for the injured.
* Pray for the safety of disaster relief crews working to remove debris.
* Pray for the homeless to obtain housing.
* Pray for the unemployed to find new jobs.
* Pray for Christians to be salt and light among their neighbors.
Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia’s death yesterday will shake up the presidential race.
The Los Angeles Times reports, “Potential court openings haven’t dominated debates thus far in the campaign, and voters have not often raised it, aside from a suggestion to Hillary Clinton that, if elected, she’d appoint President Obama. But Scalia’s death changes all that …”
This year the Supreme Court will hear important cases involving abortion and religious liberty. According to Raw Story, “The court in early March is set to hear a case testing whether conservative states such as Texas can adopt stringent medical regulations that would force many abortion clinics to close down.”
* Pray for the Holy Spirit to comfort the family and friends of Antonin Scalia.
* Pray for the Supreme Court justices to render honest court rulings.
* Pray for the right person to be appointed as a replacement for Scalia.
The Associated Press reports, “Fifty-two inmates were killed and 12 injured in a brutal fight between two rival factions and a huge fire at a prison in northern Mexico on Thursday, the state governor said.”
- Pray for the Holy Spirit to comfort the families and friends of the deceased.
- Pray for physical healing for the injured.
- Pray for gang members in Mexico’s prisons to forsake crime and violence.
- Pray for drug addicts to overcome their addictions.
- Pray for God to raise up laborers to boldly share the Gospel throughout Mexico.
- Pray for the members of Mexico’s drug cartels to be born again and become disciple makers.
CNN reports, “Rescuers scrambled to find survivors Sunday night after an earthquake toppled buildings in Taiwan, killing at least 37 people, authorities said.” Taiwan’s Central News Agency also reported 500 people with injuries and “at least 121 people were still unaccounted for.”
* Pray for the Holy Spirit to comfort families and friends of the deceased.
* Pray for healing for the injured.
* Pray for housing for the homeless.
* Pray for financial needs to be met for employees and business owners that are now out of work.
* Pray for Taiwan’s Christians to share the Gospel and love of Christ with their neighbors.
According to Reuters, at a hospital in Recife, Brazil, “dozens of soon-to-be mothers wait anxiously for ultrasound scans that will indicate whether the child they are carrying has a shrunken head and damaged brain, a condition called microcephaly.”
The Guardian reports, “Since October, there have been more than 3,700 confirmed or suspected cases of microcephaly in Brazil, compared with less than 200 the previous year.”
A cure does not exist for microcephaly. Scientists suspect this condition is caused by the zika virus carried by mosquitoes.
* Pray for the Holy Spirit to comfort the women carrying babies with microcephaly.
* Pray for Christians to provide health care services and support for the babies and families affected by this birth defect.
* Pray for Christians to defend life while there are calls for liberalization of abortion laws.
* Pray for a vaccine to be developed that can prevent these birth defects.
Recent Prayer Focus Articles
* Prayer Focus: More Than 11,000 Unemployed After Staples, Sprint and Wal-Mart Layoffs
* Prayer Focus: Cold Weather Causing Deaths in Asia
* Prayer Focus: 663 Million People Without Clean Water
* Prayer List: 18,000 Killed in Iraqi Conflict; 3 Million Refugees