According to Reuters, at a hospital in Recife, Brazil, “dozens of soon-to-be mothers wait anxiously for ultrasound scans that will indicate whether the child they are carrying has a shrunken head and damaged brain, a condition called microcephaly.”
The Guardian reports, “Since October, there have been more than 3,700 confirmed or suspected cases of microcephaly in Brazil, compared with less than 200 the previous year.”
A cure does not exist for microcephaly. Scientists suspect this condition is caused by the zika virus carried by mosquitoes.
* Pray for the Holy Spirit to comfort the women carrying babies with microcephaly.
* Pray for Christians to provide health care services and support for the babies and families affected by this birth defect.
* Pray for Christians to defend life while there are calls for liberalization of abortion laws.
* Pray for a vaccine to be developed that can prevent these birth defects.
Recent Prayer Focus Articles
* Prayer Focus: More Than 11,000 Unemployed After Staples, Sprint and Wal-Mart Layoffs
* Prayer Focus: Cold Weather Causing Deaths in Asia
* Prayer Focus: 663 Million People Without Clean Water
* Prayer List: 18,000 Killed in Iraqi Conflict; 3 Million Refugees